On the occasion of the Fifth Extraordinary Meeting of the Bolivarian Alliance for the Peoples of Our America-People’s Trade Agreement (ALBA-TCP) Political Council, held in Caracas, the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, June 8, 2016, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of ALBA-TCP member states,
Considering the commitment of the Constitutional President of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, Nicolás Maduro Moros, to the unconditional defense of peace and democratic constitutional institutionality of the Republic and his assurance to guarantee the human rights of the people of Venezuela,
Reiterating the need for full respect of the inalienable right of all states to choose their own political, economic, social and cultural systems, as an essential condition to ensure peaceful coexistence between nations and consolidate Latin America and the Caribbean as a Zone of Peace, as was formally proclaimed in the Second CELAC Summit, held in Havana, January 2014,
Recognizing dialogue as a conciliatory method, and a legitimate, appropriate instrument to resolve the internal conflicts of member states,
Bearing in mind the illegitimate attempt by the OAS Secretary General Luis Almagro to invoke the Inter-American Democratic Charter, seeking intervention against the constitutional government of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela,
We state that:
1. We demand absolute respect for Venezuelan sovereignty, stressing the principles of non-intervention, self-determination and the right to exercise the constitutional, political, economic and social system chosen by the people.
2. We support the constitutional government of President Nicolás Maduro Moros in his concerted efforts to preserve the peace and guarantee democratic institutionality in his country.
3. We support the national dialogue initiative proposed by President Nicolás Maduro with the support of Unasur, and the participation of former presidents José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero, of Spain; Leonel Fernández, of the Dominican Republic, and Martín Torrijos of Panama, at the request of the Bolivarian government of Venezuela.
4. We reject the conduct of Luis Almagro, secretary general of the Organization of American States (OAS), who acting in violation of the OAS Charter, which demands independence, impartiality and transparency, has taken on an interventionist role in the internal affairs of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, with the potential to generate instability in the country and motivate sectors of the Venezuelan opposition to assume non-democratic and violent positions.
5. We urge countries represented in the OAS, to ensure that the Secretary General of the organization, fulfills his duties as outlined in the General Norms of the Functioning of the Secretary General according to norms established in Article 113 of the OAS Charter, and therefore call on the Secretary General to strictly adhere to Article 137 of the aforementioned regulations.
6. We condemn the interventionist resolution, adopted June 8, 2016, by the European Parliament against Venezuela, and its disregard for the country’s institutions and rule of law.
7. We will remain alert to any initiative which might threaten the constitutional stability of the sister Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela, and act accordingly in defense of peace and tranquility in our region.
8. We request the Executive Secretary of ALBA-TCP ensure that this Declaration is sent to regional and sub-regional integration organizations and circulated as an official document.
Caracas, June 8, 2016.