The Embassy of the Republic of Uruguay to Cuba announced that it will donate the complete collection of the newspaper Cuba Libre to the island. The paper, published in Río de la Plata in 1896, served as a propaganda medium in support of the independence of Cuba.
The collection includes a total of 39 editions, from January to December, 1896, consisting of four pages each. The editor of the paper was the Cuban Ramón Valdés García, who was named that same year head of the Cuban Revolutionary Party in Río de la Plata.
Uruguayan historian Oscar Darío Montaño González discovered the newspaper copies during one of his usual inquiries at the National Library in Montevideo.
Digitized photocopies of the complete collection, as well as two photocopied and printed copies of Cuba Libre, will be delivered on April 3, to Cuba’s José Martí National Library, which will be responsible for distributing copies of the important collection to institutions such as the National Archive, the University of Havana, and the Cuban Institute of History, among others.