1. On the invitation of Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, first secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba (PCC) Central Committee and President of the Councils of State and Ministers of the Republic of Cuba, comrade Nguyen Phu Trong, general secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam (CPV) Central Committee, made a state visit to Cuba March 28-30, 2018, accompanied by a delegation of high level authorities from Vietnam's Party and state.
General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong held official talks with the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba and President of the Councils of State and Ministers, Army General Raúl Castro Ruz. He likewise dialogued with José Ramón Machado Ventura, second secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba and a vice president of the Councils of State and Ministers; Political Bureau member and President of the National Assembly of People's Power, Esteban Lazo Hernández; and Political Bureau member and First Vice President of the Councils of State and Ministers, Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez. In all meetings, an environment of fraternity and mutual confidence prevailed.
Comrade Nguyen Phu Trong placed floral wreaths at the monument to Cuba's national hero José Martí and the bust of President Ho Chi Minh; visited the city of Santiago de Cuba, where he paid tribute to José Martí and the Cuban Revolution's Comandante en Jefe Fidel Castro Ruz; toured other historic sites in the Heroic City; visited Vo Thi Thang Elementary School; and met with a representative group of Cuban and Vietnamese youth.
The highest leader of the Communist Party of Vietnam received an Honorary Doctorate in Political Sciences from the University of Havana, recognizing his fruitful scientific career and meritorious contributions to the construction of socialism in his country, and his interest in sharing with Cuba theoretical-practical experiences related to the Vietnamese development model.
In recognition of the valuable contribution of compañero Raúl Castro Ruz to the strengthening of relations between the two parties and peoples, and the cause of the construction of socialism, the Vietnamese Party and state decided to award him the Gold Star Order, the Socialist Republic of Vietnam's highest honor. The Army General expressed his profound gratitude for the Vietnamese gesture, in the name of the Cuban people.
2. The highest ranking leaders of the Communist Party of Cuba and the Communist Party of Vietnam reaffirmed the special friendship and strong solidarity shared by Cuba and Vietnam, symbolic of the era, an invaluable treasure for both parties and peoples.
The two leaders reaffirmed their will to continue the enduring legacies of Ho Chi Minh and Fidel Castro Ruz, promoters and defenders of the beautiful traditions of friendship that united our two peoples.
Cuba and Vietnam agreed to broaden, extend, and deepen their ties of fraternity, solidarity, and comprehensive cooperation, to actively contribute to the construction and defense of the homeland, in both countries, and to stability and development in their respective regions, and the world.
3. During the official talks, the Communist Party of Vietnam's General Secretary and the First Secretary of the Communist Party of Cuba reviewed the excellent state of bilateral relations; reaffirmed the will to advance the two countries' special relationship to a new stage of development, based on political confidence, with an emphasis on the efficiency of economic and commercial cooperation, investments, and in other areas; exchanged information on the situation in the two parties and countries; and addressed a variety of international issues of mutual interest.
4. The two sides agreed that future generations of Cubans and Vietnamese will be faithful heirs to the history of solidarity and friendship between their peoples, who have remained united, and will continue together in defending the irreversibility of socialism and for a more just, equitable, and sustainable world.
5. In the name of the Party, state, and people of Vietnam, General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong warmly congratulated the Communist Party, government, and people of Cuba for the success of elections for delegates to Provincial Assemblies and deputies to the National Assembly of People's Power 9th Legislature, held this past March 11, 2018; expressed his strong conviction that, guided by decisions adopted at the 6th and 7th PCC Congresses, Cuba will continue to successfully implement the updating of its economic and social model of socialist development, opening a new stage in the construction of a sovereign, independent, socialist, democratic, prosperous, and sustainable nation.
Vietnam reiterated its consistent position of support to the noble cause of the Cuban people and the struggle to immediately and unconditionally lift the unjust economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed on Cuba. Vietnam reaffirmed its support of efforts to normalize relations between Cuba and the United States, on the basis of equality and respect for the sovereignty, independence, and political system of both countries. It likewise highlighted the prestige and role of Cuba in Latin America and the Caribbean, and internationally.
6. In the name of the Party, state, and people of Cuba, PCC First Secretary, Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, congratulated the Party, state, and people of Vietnam for the important, historic achievements of the renovation, organized and led by the Communist Party of Vietnam; expressed his high regard for its peaceful foreign policy, in defense of the country's independence and sovereignty, directed toward international integration; its international prestige; as well as the contributions of Vietnam to peace, stability, cooperation, and development of the Southeast Asian region, Asia-Pacific, and the world. He expressed the conviction that Vietnam will continue to achieve greater success in its Renovation work, as well as in the construction and defense of the socialist homeland; in favor of the people's wellbeing and the strengthening of the nation; and will meet the objective of achieving a prosperous people, a strong, democratic, just, and cultured country, oriented toward industrialization, modernization, and the successful building of socialism in Vietnam.
7. The two leaders agreed that, in the current context, as Vietnam is moving forward with Renovation and Cuba continues to implement the updating of its economic-social model of socialist development, the two sides must maintain frequent meetings at all levels. It is imperative to continue theoretical-practical exchanges on experiences in state administration; economic-social management; the Party's construction and work, and that of youth organizations; as well as close collaboration in the defense arena, security, and foreign policy issues.
8. The two sides emphasized the importance of mechanisms of bilateral cooperation, such as the agreement on exchanges and cooperation between the PCC and CPV; the two parties' theoretical seminar; the Intergovernmental Commission for Economic and Scientific-Technical Cooperation; political consultations between the two Ministries of Foreign Affairs; ties between Vietnam's Defense Ministry and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Cuba; and exchanges on the two countries' respective socio-economic models. The will was expressed to increase the efficiency and effectiveness of these mechanisms.
9. General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong and Army General Raúl Castro Ruz stressed the importance of promoting and increasing efficiency in economic cooperation; described as positive the conclusion of negotiations on a new Trade Agreement between the two countries during this visit, as a foundation to continue broadening ties in this sphere. Cuba appreciates the increase in Vietnamese investment on the island and will continue to create an environment that encourages this effort. Also to be taken into consideration is the potential of each country to broaden cooperation around key axes and prioritized sectors, such as energy, telecommunications, tourism, construction, medical services, agricultural industry and food processing, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, and transportation, among others. Both sides emphasized the importance of bilateral accords signed during the visit in the areas of agriculture, construction, communications, human resources and social security, science and technology.
Compañero Raúl Castro Ruz thanked the Party, state, and government of Vietnam for the decision to forgive the Cuban government's debt to the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, which constituted further evidence of the special relationship shared by the two countries.
10. Both leaders expressed satisfaction with their countries' agreement on diverse international issues; stressed that international conflicts must be resolved via peaceful means, on the basis of respect for the principles of international law and the United Nations Charter, such as independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity, and the right of nations to self-determination, without interference in their internal affairs, nor the use of force or threats to do so.
The two sides agreed that an increasingly close bilateral relationship between Vietnam and Cuba will contribute to expanding cooperation between Vietnam and Latin America and the Caribbean, as well as ties between Cuba and countries in the Pacific Asian region, to the benefit of peace, stability, cooperation, development, and prosperity in both regions and the world; and recognized the role of regional and inter-regional organizations, such as the Community of Latin American and Caribbean States (CELAC); the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN); and the Forum for East Asia –Latin America Cooperation (FEALAC), in the promotion of relations of friendship and cooperation on the basis of tolerance and coexistence in peace, as established in the Proclamation of Latin America and the Caribbean as a Zone of Peace.
11. The two sides also reiterated the continuing relevance of the fundamental principles of the Non-Aligned Movement; reaffirmed the Declaration of Asian principles and purposes of the Movement that must be fully respected; emphasized its contribution to the defense of the principles of international law; expressed the opinion that this must be further strengthened to confront the great challenges of today's world in an effective manner; reaffirmed their commitment to the promotion of international peace and security, and disarmament, in particular nuclear disarmament; and congratulated each other for signing and participating in the Treaty on the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons.
They additionally agreed on the efficient implementation of the sustainable development goals and the 2030 Agenda; to continue actively contributing to efforts to confront the effects of climate change via the promotion of adherence to and implementation of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change and its Paris Agreement, on the basis of the principle of shared, differentiated responsibility.
12. The two sides will continue to support each other in international organizations and multi-lateral forums in which the two countries are members, above all in the United Nations, including mutual support of candidacies, and aligning their positions via periodic exchanges between the two governments toward this end.
13. Both agreed to continue increasing coordination, collaboration, and reciprocal support in the framework of the Sao Paulo Forum, the International Meeting of Communist and Workers' Parties, and other political and social events.
14. Both sides greatly appreciated the results of the state visit to the Republic of Cuba, made by the General Secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam, Nguyen Phu Trong, considering it an event of special significance, in the context of the 45th anniversary of the first visit to Vietnam by Comandante en Jefe Fidel Castro Ruz, the only head of state to tour the zone around the 17th parallel in the province of Quang Tri, when it had only recently been liberated by Vietnamese combatants.
15. General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong thanked First Secretary, Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, the Party, the state, and the people of Cuba for the moving welcome and warm hospitality shown to him personally and the entire high level delegation from Vietnam.
In the name of the Party and state of Vietnam, General Secretary Nguyen Phu Trong extended an invitation to Army General Raúl Castro Ruz, to make an official visit to the Socialist Republic of Vietnam, which was accepted and will be coordinated through diplomatic channels.
Havana, March 30, 2018