OFFICIAL VOICE OF THE COMMUNIST PARTY OF CUBA CENTRAL COMMITTEE

NONE other than Ileana Ros, the woman who held the child Elián kidnapped in Miami, the promoter of coups d’état, crimes like those of Posada Carriles and other misdeeds, is to travel to neighboring Haiti, where the earthquake killed a quarter of a million people and the cholera epidemic, fully active, has deprived almost 4,000 people of their lives and constitutes a threat for the rest of the continent.

A DPA agency cable reports that:

"Republican Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen is to visit Haiti this Tuesday, in what is her first foreign trip since she was appointed chair of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the House of Representatives, now in Republican hands, a communiqué from her office informed today.

"During her stay in Port-au-Prince, the Congresswoman of Cuban origin said that she hopes to receive a report about ‘advances’ in terms of the reconstruction of the devastated country, as well as the ‘continuing electoral controversy’ after the presidential elections of November 28.

"’It's important that I'm able to go to Haiti, a country that's near and dear to the U.S,’ stated the congresswoman for Florida, a state in which a significant concentration of Haitians live.

"’It's very important to U.S. interests and we have a vested interest in seeing that stability, democracy and free enterprise take root there,’ she added."

I wonder if the government of the United States is aware of the challenge to its moral authority implied by the disturbing presence of Ileana Ros-Lehtinen in Haiti.

But that is not all, another cable, this time from the AP agency, datelined Port-au-Prince, communicates:

"PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti (AP) - International observers are waiting on Haiti's president to accept a report suggesting his party's candidate be eliminated from a contentious election to choose the quake-ravaged country's next leader. That would favor carnival singer Michel "Sweet Micky" Martelly, a populist candidate who was in third place… according to a draft copy obtained by The Associated Press.

"The OAS had planned to present the report to president René Préval on Monday.

"The report has not been made public, but the AP obtained a copy, and a foreign official with direct knowledge of the report confirmed its conclusions. A second foreign official said that the report had been completed and translated into French and that the conclusion in the draft would stand.

"Haitian electoral officials must make the final decision on what to do, but the OAS recommendations could weigh heavily. The three top candidates all believe they should advance to a second-round vote if not declared the winner outright. Rioting broke out in several cities when the preliminary results were announced…

"Preval was not expected to respond publicly until after Wednesday's one-year anniversary of the earthquake that devastated Port-au-Prince.

"The second round was originally scheduled for Jan. 16 but was delayed in part because electoral officials were waiting for the results of the OAS review. Officials have said the earliest it can be held is next month."

The country was in total calm. The battle against the epidemic was advancing successfully. During the last 17 consecutive days, the Cuban Medical Mission and the Henry Reed Brigade have treated 9,857 cholera patients without a single death.

President Préval had discussed a political solution to the complex problem with diplomatic representatives, including the OAS representative, Brazilian writer Ricardo Seitenfus.

According to news received, the present problem arose after he was unexpectedly dismissed by the secretary of that organization. We hope that representatives of Latin America and the United Nations accredited countries will avoid the chaos that could be created in Haiti if, in the current situation, a battle among rival parties is unleashed in the midst of the destruction, the poverty and the epidemic which is still ravaging that nation.

Fidel Castro Ruz

January 10, 2011

9:50 p.m.